Today’s recipe is a simple take on the traditional potato salad. I know you can often buy it pre-made at the supermarket, but there is nothing like the homemade version – not only does it taste much better, it is a lot healthier too. This recipe has been adapted to make it easy for you to prepare in your motorhome using the minimum of ingredients while still making sure it has maximum taste.
- 3 pounds waxy potatoes (such as Yukon gold or new), washed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup white-wine vinegar or pre-made french or italian salad dressing (whatever you have on hand)
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise (or sour-cream/plain yoghurt)
- Salt and pepper
Nice to have ingredients
- 4 spring onions, white part minced, green part thinly sliced
- 4 rashes bacon, diced
- Handful of mint, chives or dill
Place potatoes in a pot of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for 15 to 25 minutes or until tender.
Once cooked, drain potatoes and while still hot drizzle vinegar or salad dressing over the potatoes and stir to cover. This helps the flavours infuse and develop. Cool to room temperature, tossing occasionally, about 1 hour.
While potatoes are cooling, if adding bacon, fry until crispy and then set aside to cool.
Add mayonnaise and green onions, bacon and mint, chives or dill to cooled potatoes; mix gently to combine. Serve, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.