In today’s article we will see How to install PUAs in Windows 10 with Windows Defender in a fairly simple and fast way. As fast as it is, this option is enabled by entering a simple command line.
Some time ago, Windows Defender, became one of the best antivirus today. Especially if we add the fact that it consumes few resources and is natively integrated into the operating system.
Among several improvements that were added to Microsoft’s antivirus, one of the most notable is undoubtedly protection against unwanted applications, known as PUPs. Which are trying to install in one way or another.
You may also be interested in:
Surely on many occasions you tried to install programs that were really useful to you, but in the middle of the installation you find that other apps are installed. Sometimes they ask you if you want to install them and in others, they directly install or modify something in the system.
These applications are in a nutshell: advertising. Developers of different popular apps add them to their installation wizards and as many of us are used to giving them «Next», «Next» and «Next» we do not pay attention to what we are installing specifically.
The problem is that these apps can damage our computer or even supplant the advertising of all the websites we visit, among other things even worse. The best way to prevent unwanted apps from being installed is always pay close attention to installation wizards and download the programs from their official websites.
Although it is the best way, we can also count on protection «Extra”Thanks to Windows Defender which has a module to prevent us from dealing with these unwanted applications.
Avoid installing PUAs with Windows Defender
Unlike other antivirus that directly uncheck the option to install app you do not want. Windows Defender installs them anyway, but sends them to quarantine so you can decide what you want to do with it.
It is ideal to keep this option activated, especially if you install many apps constantly. However, we recommend that you always exercise caution, as the best way to avoid any malware or adware on our computer, is being aware of what we do on the internet.
The Windows Defender configuration window has a large number of features so that we can modify at will. However, some of these characteristics are in the experimental phase, so they are not available, at least from that window.
In order to activate them we will have to use PowerShell window or Command Prompt with administrator permissions, it is not complicated at all.
How to enable PUA protection in Windows Defender
- We start by pressing on start and then we write «PowerShellRight click on the first option and run it as administrator.
- After this we will have to execute this command: Set-MpPreference -PUAProtection 1
- After executing this command, the open security layer is activated and it will start working without any kind of problem. You must bear in mind that, unlike other applications, it prevents unwanted apps from being installed.
- Windows Defender does allow them to be installed, the only thing is that after doing so they are sent to quarantine until we make the decision of what we want to do with them.
- In case the function does not convince you or does not work as you expected, the only thing you will have to do to be able to deactivate it is to return to the PowerShell window and instead of having the value in «1«Just put»0» and ready.
I'm sorry this content was not useful for you!
Let me improve this content!
Tell me, how can I improve this content?
You may also be interested in: