In most cases, our PC can acquire malware or viruses by downloading a program that, although it seemed legal, was not. So today we will show you how block file downloads from Google Chrome on your PC with Windows 10 so you don’t have to worry about it again.
Google Chrome is one of the most used browsers in the world. If you always keep it updated to its latest version, you will see that they have endless tools that can be very useful when browsing the web. Among these, you should know, since it has its own download manager.
However, this internal manager is not the only one you can use. This is of vital importance, especially if your computer is shared with several people, and you want avoid risk that any of them download a file with some kind of virus. Therefore, in the next section we will tell you how to block downloads.
Steps to block file downloads from Google Chrome on my Windows 10 PC
Something you can do to prevent malicious software from being downloaded inadvertently on your PC is blocking downloads from your browser. This process is really simple, and we anticipate that it is different from limiting the download speed of Google Chrome, because in this case you will block it completely.
We need to make a difference between Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Home in this case, the procedure to block file downloads from Google Chrome is different in each version. However, you should not worry, as in both cases they are simple processes.
You may also be interested in:
In the case of Windows 10 ProThe first thing you should do is type ‘gpedit’ in the Windows 10 taskbar search engine. If you have any problem opening this search engine, we recommend that you solve it first. Then, go to ‘Administrative Templates’ and search for ‘Google’, and then ‘Google Chrome’.
Once you have done this procedure, you just need to enable the checkbox ‘Allow download restrictions’, choosing the option to ‘Block all downloads’ if you wish. With this, you will have already blocked the downloads from Google Chrome on your Windows 10 Pro PC.
Can I block downloads from Google Chrome with Windows 10 Home?
The process to block file downloads from Google Chrome on a PC with Windows 10 Home is a bit more complex than the process with Windows 10 Pro. However, here we will explain it step by step, so that you can carry it out without problems .
- The first step is very similar, because you must go to the Windows 10 taskbar and type in the search engine, but this time you will type ‘regedit’. This will allow you run Registry Editor Windows.
- Once you have opened it, in the left sidebar you must find the folder called ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER’ and click on the arrow that is immediately to the left to display its content.
- Then, you must look for the ‘Software’ folder within it and display its content. Repeat this with the ‘Policies’ folder as well. Within this there should be a google rule. If it does not exist, you must create it as we explain below.
You may also be interested in:
- To create the rule, you must right-click inside the ‘Policies’ folder and choose the ‘New rule’ option. A) Yes you will create a folder that you will name ‘Google’. Repeat this procedure inside the Google folder, creating a rule for Chrome. You can skip this step if this rule already appeared in your Registry Editor.
- Once inside the Chrome folder, you must create (by right clicking again) a new value 32-bit DWORD and name it ‘DownloadRestrictions’ and as a value put the number 3. This way you will be blocking all Google Chrome downloads.
Keep in mind that you can also limit Google Chrome downloads from the browser, as indicated by the official Google Chrome Enterprise Help page. Anyways, that’s the whole procedure you should follow to block file downloads from Google Chrome on your PC.
I'm sorry this content was not useful for you!
Let me improve this content!
Tell me, how can I improve this content?