In the technology industry there is a wide range of models of Wi-Fi network cards that resist both monitor mode and packet injection. This last option is necessary and essential if we want perform a Wi-Fi inspection with our favorite distribution or supply. In this article we will tell you how to check if my Wi-Fi network card supports monitor mode and packet injection.
Knowing if the card supports monitor mode is important if we want to capture packetsBy reading this post you will find the keys to know the chipset of the network card.
Check the Wi-Fi network card installed in the computer
If you have purchased a Wi-Fi network card and want to check if it supports monitor mode and packet injection. So the easiest step you can do is search the internet for the respective chipset to our card type. In this way you will have exact information about the chipset and discover if it supports monitor mode or not, this step is the simplest and easiest to apply.
Check the hardware revision of the Wi-Fi card
An interesting aspect is that the creators release different hardware versions for the same type of card, which means that your card can have several versions. It is also likely that the first hardware version did support monitor mode due to its chipset and the rest of the modules did not.
On the other hand, you must keep in mind the hardware version of the device, and also check if it supports or has compatibility with a 5 GHz network card.
Where can you identify the hardware version on your device?
- Usually this information we can find it in the product packaging or box, on the back or on the side according to the design.
You may also be interested in:
- If you can’t find it in the box check on the Wi-Fi card itself Information regarding the hardware model and version can be found on a small label on the back of the card.
How to know the chipset of a Wi-Fi network card in Windows and Linux OS
Industry or network card makers do not provide information about the chipset using a certain device. Most Wi-Fi network cards use the chipset from the manufacturer Realtek, for example there are some models of this brand that support monitor mode and others that do not.
We will help you to know the chipset of a Wi-Fi network card using the Windows operating system, so you will even know the speed of the card.
- Windows Operating System.
- Enter the Windows search engine and type “Control Panel”.
- Then find the section “Device administrator”.
- Now click on “Network Adapters” and right click on the network card that you have installed in your computer and click on the “Properties” option.
- Now in this window you will click on the “Details” option that appears in the back right part of the window.
- Then in the box that says “Properties” press and look for the option “Hardware ID” and this will give you the information about the wifi network card chipset.
Once you know the hardware ID you will need to search the web for the exact model of the card, you just have to write the model in the search engine and that’s it. A method that is also effective is to install a program such as DriverIdentifier or AIDA64, these will provide the information we are looking for.
- Linux-based Operating System (Debian)
- Enter the terminal Linux.
- Once you are in it, type the following command “Ispci” to check the devices connected to the PCI.
- And you can also use “Isusb” command to check USB connected devices.
One way to know if the card supports monitor mode installing aircrack-ng in distribution, or use targeted distributions for Wi-Fi audits. Once you have installed the program to see if it supports monitor mode, apply the command “airmon-ng ” on the Linux distribution.
You may also be interested in:
The exposed or explained methods are totally simple and easy to apply, if you are new, this post will help you to expand your computer knowledge. We hope this article helps you, if you want more content or information about operating systems or smart devices you can visit the web miracomosehace.com.
I'm sorry this content was not useful for you!
Let me improve this content!
Tell me, how can I improve this content?