In the article that we will see next, we are going to teach you how to configure Akismet to avoid comment spam in WordPress in an extremely simple and fast way, just like filtering spam from Yahoo!
Spam comments on WordPress It is something of every day, as it happens in other platforms and where we must, for example, block all the spam that reaches my Hotmail or Outlook email since many emails that do not serve us tend to accumulate or we also have the option of browsing safely on the Internet to avoid Spam.
And if you don’t have a plugin that is in charge of filtering them, it can become a real nightmare and a security problem. Not to mention that if they are published it can harm our blog in the face of Google and in this way we would lose many visits.
That is why it is important to have a plugin that is in charge of filtering any spam comments and without a doubt, one of the best for this job is Akismet. We are going to see a little below how we should configure it so that it begins to protect the comments of our WordPress.
Configure Akismet to prevent spam in WordPress
- The first thing you are going to have to do is install Akismet on your WordPress, you can do this from Plugins> Add New and writing “Akismet” in the search bar. It’s quick and easy to do.
- In order to start using Akismet you will need a code called API Key which is quite easy to get and is free, so for this issue we should not have problems.
- Once it is activated, a message should appear at the top of WordPress with a blue button that will say “Activate your Akismet account.”
- On this screen you will have to enter the code that we told you about earlier. For this you will have to click on “Get your API key”.
- It sends us to a new page where we will have to click on “Get an Akismet API Key”.
- Here we will have to register an account in WordPress.com, since it is integrated into it. It’s quite easy and fast to create an account here so it shouldn’t take too long.
How to avoid spam in WordPress with Akismet
After this we will have to choose the subscription plan that we want. You can choose the basic one that is free and works wonders for what we want. Just press on “Get Started “ to start.
On the next screen you will be asked for a small donation which is optional. In case you do not want to donate absolutely anything, you will simply have to slide the bar that is on the right side under “What is Akismet worth to you” to the left side.
You may also be interested in:
In this way, it will not ask you to enter your payment information. Only your name and surname to continue. Once entered, press “Continue”.
A window will appear with the code we need, it is important that copy this code and save it, since it is the one that we will have to introduce in Akismet. Likewise, if you press on “Automatically knows your Akismet API Key “ you will be sent to your blog and it will be activated automatically.
If you want to do it manually. Simply go to your administrator panel in WordPress and enter the section of Akismet. Add the code you copied earlier and you’re done. In this way you will already have the anti-spam filter activated in the comments of your blog.
How do we know if Akismet filters spam?
From the left side bar of the screen you can access the comments section. Once you are here you have to look at the options that appear above the comments, one of them says “Spam”.
Here i know will store all comments that are considered spam Why do you store them? Because on many occasions some comments from our users may end in this place.
To indicate that it is not spam you will simply have to click on the button “It is not spam“ which is below each individual comment and in this way it will be removed from the spam filter and will appear published on the blog.
You may also be interested in:
In the same way, you can mark comments that you consider spam whenever you want. You will simply have to go to the tab “All” or “Pending” and then click on the option “Spam” in the individual comment.
I'm sorry this content was not useful for you!
Let me improve this content!
Tell me, how can I improve this content?