WhatsApp is undoubtedly one of the most used social networks in the world; in fact, we can say that in each household there is at least one person who has an account there. Of course, sometimes it is necessary to add people with whom we really do not want to share, either due to work or obligation. This is why in this article we teach you how to configure the privacy of your WhatsApp profile to contacts step by step.
Although it may sound a bit complicated, it is entirely possible to configure WhatsApp and choose who sees or does not see all the content that we can post. That is why, if you find yourself in the need to do it and you don’t know how, we encourage you to keep reading and discover how to achieve it without any problem.
How to configure privacy settings in WhatsApp?
When we use our cell phone and social networks on it, something we all want is to maintain the privacy and security necessary to avoid problems. And when we use WhatsApp it is not the exception, since many times we do not know who or who has our contact and can access our information.
Also, there may be a specific contact you want to show only certain information to, with more limits than others.
Currently WhatsApp offers several options through which you can make adjustments for your privacy. Although it is not always that specific to particular contacts and some options can also affect what trusted contacts can see or not see of you.
If this is your case and you want to configure WhatsApp Messenger in this way, keep reading and we will explain in a better way how you can achieve it.
First of all, you need to know exactly what WhatsApp allows your contacts to know about you. First, your contacts can add you to groups without prior notice, as they have the option of doing it without problem.
In addition, everyone you have added has the possibility to see all your statuses. And finally, they will have no problems in seeing your current profile picture, your last connection in your WhatsApp account, the confirmation of your reading of the messages sent by them, and also all the information you have included in your bio, like your name and description. As you will see, it is necessary to change your default privacy settings.
Steps to change the privacy of your WhatsApp account
Now that you know what others can see on your WhatsApp profile and what you can change, we will show you how change privacy settings. First of all, we show you the steps to follow from your smartphone:
- From the main page, select the three dots at the top that lead to ‘More options’.
- Touch the ‘Settings’ option.
- Press ‘Account’.
- Now, select ‘Privacy’.
- Once there, choose who can access your information.
Ready! If you follow these steps, you will be able to change aspects such as who sees your statuses, your profile picture, your information, the last connection, if you can be added to groups and read receipts. This undoubtedly helps to improve the security of your cell phone in a great way. Whether you follow the steps from an Android, iOS or KaiOS smartphone, it is very easy to change these aspects of the WhatsApp settings.
Last connection time
The last connection time indicates when was the last time you entered the application. Deactivating it is possible, you just have to follow the steps below:
- Open the WhatsApp application and go to the section of options which is in the upper right corner symbolized with 3 vertical points.
- Select the option Settings-Account-Privacy
- The first option that appears in privacy is Last time and it offers you 3 options ‘All, my contacts, nobody’. Select the one that best suits what you want.
You may also be interested in:
To limit the people who can see your profile picture, you just have to do the following.
- Open the WhatsApp application and go to the options section in the upper right corner symbolized with 3 vertical points.
- Select the option Settings-Account-Privacy.
- Locate an option that says Profile picture, select it and choose the option you prefer.
Information and status
To adjust the privacy of your information is practically the same
- Go to the option Privacy.
- Locate where it says Info. and select the option you prefer.
Refering to privacy of your statuses, you have several options:
- Go to the option Privacy.
- Locate the option States and select it.
- A new window will open where you will have three more options’My contacts, my contacts except …, just share with … ‘
- If you select the option ‘My contacts except … ‘ you must choose who you do NOT want to see your statuses.
- If you select the option ‘Just share With … ‘ you must choose who you want to SEE your status.
The read receipt can be activated or deactivated. It is worth mentioning that if you decide to activate it, your contacts will not be able to see when you read the messages, but you won’t be able to know if they read yours either.
In addition, deactivating the read confirmation also affects the states, no one will be able to know if you viewed their states, but you will not be able to know who saw yours either.
To enable or disable read receipts, follow the steps below:
- Open your WhatsApp and go to the option Privacy.
- Locate the option that says Read receipts. Select to enable or disable. If it is in gray the option is deactivated and if it is in green it means that it is activated.
Block a WhatsApp contact does not remove it from your directory or remove you from his. What will happen is that in the contact list of the person you will appear without a profile photo and the messages that that person sends you will not arrive.
To block contacts on WhatsApp you must do the following:
- Open the WhatsApp application and find the contact you want to block, open the chat as if you were going to write a message.
- At the top right is the options menu represented by three vertical dots, enter the menu.
- Locate the option that says Plus and select it.
- Select the option that says To block. And ready.
Note: In the block option you will see 3 options’Report and Block, Cancel, Block ‘. If you select the option Report and block, not only will you be blocking contact but you will send an abuse notice to the WhatsApp community. If several people carry out this action with the same contact, WhatsApp will proceed to delete the account of that number.
What should be taken into account when changing the privacy of a WhatsApp account?
There are several things to consider when doing this. First, we mentioned that there is no option that prevents others from seeing if you are writing or online.
Likewise, if you decide to prevent others from seeing your last connection, you you will not be able to see this information on other people’s profiles. In addition, the same happens with read receipts, since if you deactivate them in your profile, you will not be able to see whether or not others have read your messages. On the other hand, these confirmations are always active in WhatsApp groups.
Another aspect of these confirmations is that if someone deactivates them, you will not be able to know if they have seen your status updates. This is undoubtedly an excellent option if you want to see states without being seen.
You may also be interested in:
In conclusion, we hope that all this information can be of great use to you, and that you achieve configure security aspects and privacy of your WhatsApp account. We encourage you to let nothing stop you from achieving it, and thus manage and protect your personal information to your liking.
I'm sorry this content was not useful for you!
Let me improve this content!
Tell me, how can I improve this content?