You ask yourself How to convert MBR hard drive partition to GPT without losing data?Then you have to read the following information in which we will talk to you about it.
Considerations before converting MBR to GPT
Do you know the differences between MBR and GPT partitions? When we talk about MBR and GPT, we refer to partition tables, with MBR being the most important to use for many years. In any case, in recent years, due to the increase in the size of the storage units, the implementation of a new technology has become necessary, as is the case of GPT.
GPT is much more functional, is capable of working with partitions of greater size and offers multiple advantages in relation to MBR. In any case, if you have a hard drive with MBR partitions, it will be necessary to convert them to GPT.
The conversion process is simple and there are multiple options with which to do it, even so, we strongly recommend making a backup or backup of the hard drive that we want to convert.
You may also be interested in:
How to convert MBR hard drive partition to GPT without losing data?
Next, we will show you two methods with which you can convert a partition from MBR to GPT easily read carefully.
MBR2GPT is a small program available within the Windows operating system, with which it is possible to convert hard drives from MBR to GPT. This application does not have a graphical interface, so it works directly with the Windows command console or also called the cmd command prompt.
To use this conversion method, we recommend reading the following guide where we will discuss the process step by step:
- Go to Windows startup, there you will need to search “Cmd”, Once cmd.exe appears on the screen, right click on the program and then select the option “Run as administrator”.
- It is possible that a window will appear on the screen in which you must confirm the execution of the command console, you just have to click on “OK”.
- Once the command console appears on the screen, you must type the following: mbr2gpt / convert / disk: disk number / allowfullOS. Remember to replace “Disk number” by the number assigned to your storage unit, this information can be seen in the Windows hard drives section.
- When this procedure is done, the file conversion from MBR to GPT should begin. When the process is complete, the file system of the selected drive should already be successfully converted.
MiniTool Partition Wizard
MiniTool Partition Wizard is one of the best programs to partition hard drives by which it is possible to keep control of our storage units. In the same way, the application is perfectly functional to convert hard drives from MBR to GPT format.
You may also be interested in:
To perform stationing using the application, the first thing you should do is download the program from the partitionwizard website. Note that to use the MBR to GPT conversion, it will be necessary to create a bootable drive with the MiniTool Partition Wizard program, which is paid for.
- Start the application, in the upper right part of the screen you should find the section Bootable Media, option with which it is possible to create the boot drive for the software.
- When clicking on this option, the system will ask you for the drive in which to create the boot system, we recommend that you do it through a usb drive. If that is the case, select that drive and wait until the process is finished.
- Restart your computer and boot from the USB drive you have prepared in advance.
- The MiniTool Partition Wizard program and all the storage drives on your computer should appear on the screen. Select the drive you want to convert from MBR to GPT and right click on it, here you must select the option “Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk”.
- The button will be displayed at the bottom left of the screen. “Apply” click on it and then on the “Yes” option in the window that appears on the screen.
- Once the process is complete, the system will show you a message on the screen, just click on the option “OKAY” and you will have your system files in GPT.
I'm sorry this content was not useful for you!
Let me improve this content!
Tell me, how can I improve this content?