Gmail is an extremely useful tool, which even allows you to schedule the sending of emails, create folders, cancel shipments and many more options. Considering the amount of data that you surely have in your account, today we will explain how download a copy of all your emails from Gmail on your computer.
Steps to download a copy of all my emails from Gmail to my computer
If you consider that the information you have in your Gmail emails is of the utmost importance and you want to have a backup of it, you are in the right place. By following the steps that we will explain below, you can easily download a copy of all your Gmail emails to your computer.
- The first thing you should do is access your Google account. You can do it with a simple click on your profile photo, which appears in the upper right corner of the browser you are using. You must be logged in, and if you forgot your password, you will need to recover your Google account first.
- Click on the option ‘Manage your Google Account’ to continue.
- This will take you to a page with several boxes that have different options. You must locate the one entitled ‘Privacy and personalization’, and click on the blue text that appears at the bottom of it, which says ‘Manage your data and customization options’.
- A window will open in which you can see how you use the different Google services. If you go down in this window, you will see a section called ‘Facts about what you believe and do’, and within it several icons.
You may also be interested in:
- Click on the Gmail icon to go to a page where you can see the amount of data you can download, including the number of conversations on your account.
- Look again for the Gmail icon and click on the arrow to its right to display a menu. At the bottom of this there is a three-point icon, on which you must click.
- Then choose the option ‘Download data’. This will open a new Google Takeout window where you can choose the data you want to download. You can even download the conversations you have had through Hangouts. In the next section we will explain the rest of the steps you must follow.
How to download a copy of all my emails from Gmail with Google Takeout
When you reach the Google Takeout page, you must follow the following steps to continue with the download of emails:
- Make sure it’s checked the box next to the Gmail icon to be able to download the data from this application. If you want to download data from other Google apps, take advantage of also checking the corresponding boxes.
- If you want to be more specific about what data will be downloaded, click on the blue text that says ‘All Gmail data was included’. This will open a small window with a list of all Gmail data you can download, and here you can select the ones that interest you.
- Once you have configured everything to your liking, click on the blue button that says ‘Next step’, which will take you to the bottom of this same window.
You may also be interested in:
- Here you can choose compressed file format you want to create, having ZIP and TGZ as options. You can also decide if you want to carry out this export only once, or if you want it to be done periodically.
- When finished, press the blue button that says ‘Create Export’ or ‘Create File’ to end the process. Please note that depending on the size of the file, the file could be divided into multiple files, and creating the compressed file could take several hours or even days to finish.
- Once the copy of all your Gmail emails is ready, an email will arrive informing you that you can access the file and finally download it to your computer.
Once you have the file on your PC, its content will be EML files and you will need a desktop email client to view them. On the official Gmail Help page you can see more information about it, and also about how to send emails as attachments.
I'm sorry this content was not useful for you!
Let me improve this content!
Tell me, how can I improve this content?