Although Linux is synonymous with freedom when it comes to software, one of its main disadvantages is compatibility problems. In order to do our bit, in this article we will teach you how to download, install and use iTunes in Ubuntu step by step. That way you can use this program without any problem.
How to download, install and use iTunes in Ubuntu step by step
To carry out this process, you have at your disposal two methods. You can use the one that works best for you. Although we tell you from now on that it will probably take you some time to do them.
How to install iTunes on Ubuntu with Wine
Wine is not an emulator. Rather, it is a program that add a compatibility layer that allows running Windows applications or programs on GNU / Linux or Unix systems. To install iTunes on Ubuntu using this program follow these steps:
- Download and install Wine. You can do it directly from their website. You can also do this by running a series of commands from Terminal, but we will skip that.
- Now you must install the PlayOnLinux compatibility platform. On many computers it is already installed, so you only have to activate it. To do this, open Terminal and run the following command: “sudo apt-get install playonlinux”. Then press the “Enter” key on your keyboard. If you have problems in this step, go to the subtitle “How to install PlayonLinux in Ubuntu”.
- Download the latest version of iTunes for Windows. Make sure you download the version that suits your system architecture, be it 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Open PlayOnLinux.
- Click on the “Install” option at the top of the interface. You can also recognize it by the “+” icon.
- Type “iTunes” in the search bar, press the “Enter” key and select the version of the program you want to install.
- Select the “Install” option located at the bottom of the interface. Then click “OK” and then “Next”.
- Indicate if you prefer sync iTunes with a USB device by clicking “Yes” or “No”.
- Now click on “Explore”. Then select the iTunes installation file and click on “Open”.
- To finish with PlayOnLinux, select the “Next” option. This will redirect you to the Wine app.
- When the installer runs on Wine, follow the installation process just as you would on Windows. Accept everything you owe and finally click on “Install”
As you can see, it is a long process. However, if you did everything correctly, from now on you will be able to use iTunes on Ubuntu. Now, if you have problems when executing it or even during its installation, you still have an alternative a little more complex.
You may also be interested in:
How to install iTunes on Ubuntu with VirtualBox
This alternative is based on using VirtualBox. This is a free virtualization program that mimics the physical components of a computer so you can install operating systems. In this case, you will have to install Windows on this virtual machine. To do this, follow these steps:
- Boot a pendrive with the Windows ISO image. You can also use an installation disc.
- Download and install the VirtualBox tool for Linux.
- Run the program and follow the instructions that the same program gives you to install Windows.
- After installing the operating system on the virtual machine, download iTunes.
- Install iTunes in the same way as you would in Windows, since you are working in Windows.
Although this last alternative may not be the most elegant, without a doubt is one of the most effective to fix compatibility issues. Although unlikely, we hope that one day Apple will release a version of iTunes for Linux-based systems. This would certainly save a lot of time and effort.
If you want to continue your efforts to “Appletize” your computer, you may want to make Ubuntu look like a Mac.
You may also be interested in:
How to install PlayonLinux on Ubuntu
If you had problems installing this program from the Terminal, now we present an alternative for its installation. To do this, follow these steps:
- Download the program from its official website. Make sure to choose the appropriate version for your respective distro, in this case Ubuntu.
- Open the “Software Center”, find the installer and start the installation process. This will not take more than a few minutes.
- Once installed, you can run the program from the search engine.
I'm sorry this content was not useful for you!
Let me improve this content!
Tell me, how can I improve this content?