Time is the most valuable resource we have. Therefore, when using the computer, it is important to be as efficient as possible. With this in mind, in this article we will show you how to reduce or minimize the size of a window in Windows with your keyboard. We will also teach you other shortcuts that will surely be useful in your day to day.
How to reduce or minimize the size of a window in Windows with keyboard
Method 1: making use of the direction arrows. To minimize a window in Windows, press the «Windows» + «Down arrow» keys simultaneously.
If the window is maximized, doing this combination will reduce its size, but will continue to display its content. To completely minimize it and hide it on the taskbar, perform the combination of these keys twice.
You may also be interested in:
On the other hand, you can also use the other arrows to control the size of windows. For example, if you press «Windows» + «Left or Right Direction Arrow», the window you are working on will go to that position.
This is ideal for those occasions when you need to have two open windows simultaneously. With the up arrow you can maximize a window and place it in full screen. That way you can fully focus on what you are working on. If this in particular interests you, you can learn what the Windows 10 concentration assistant is and how it works.
Method 2: making use of the letters on the keyboard. You can quickly minimize all the windows you have open by simultaneously pressing the «Windows» + «M» keys.
You can also use «Windows» + «D» to show or hide the desktop. While with the first you can only minimize the windows, with the second combination you can return them to their original state, as it will maximize them all at the same time.
Without a doubt, these useful shortcuts will help you save time and be more efficient when using your computer. However, these are not the only key combinations that allow you to be more agile with your device.
Get to know these keyboard shortcuts in Windows and make better use of your time
Here is a summary of the most useful keyboard shortcuts that you can use in Windows. These are divided into categories in order to better understand their purpose.
It should be noted that this operating system also gives you the ability to create your own custom keyboard shortcuts, in case you don’t like the ones shown below.
General keyboard shortcuts
- Windows + L: block the active user.
- Windows + E: open a new file explorer window.
- Windows + F: open a new search window to find files and folders.
- Windows + I: open the configuration menu. Only on Windows 8 and 10.
- Windows + P: open the screen sharing function management menu on other monitors.
- Windows + Q: Activate Cortana. Only on Windows 10.
- Windows + R: pull down the «Run» menu.
- Ctrl + Alt + Del: open the menu to control block actions, change user, log out and task manager. It is one of the most useful, so we recommend that you expand your knowledge about it by learning what it is and what its key combination is for.
- Ctrl + Shift + Esc: open a new task manager window.
- Windows + plus (+): activate the magnifying glass. You can control the magnification with Windows + plus (+) and Windows + minus (-). To close the application press Windows + Esc].
- Windows + number: Start the program that is docked in the corresponding location on the taskbar.
- Windows + Ctrl + Shift + number: Start the program that is docked in the corresponding location on the taskbar as administrator.
Keyboard shortcuts for window management
- Alt + F4: close all windows of the active program in the foreground.
- Alt + Tab: show a view of all open windows (press the Tab key again to switch windows)
Keyboard shortcuts for application management
- Ctrl + A: select all items in a window, be it files, text, folders, etc.
- Ctrl + X: cut.
- Ctrl + C: copy.
- Ctrl + V: paste.
- Ctrl + Alt + V: paste and open paste options.
- Ctrl + Z: undo.
- Ctrl + Y: redo changes.
- Ctrl + F: open search box.
- F5: In file explorer and browsers, refresh the active window.
- Windows + period (.): Insert emojis, only in Windows 10.
These are not all the combinations that exist. If you want to become a professional using your computer, learn the best combinations or keyboard shortcuts in Windows and MacOS.
I'm sorry this content was not useful for you!
Let me improve this content!
Tell me, how can I improve this content?
You may also be interested in: