Video games are the biggest source of distraction currently used. There is a great diversity of these, which you can play from your PlayStation using your cell phone, many of the users have noticed that in video games some labels appear which have different numbers depending on the game. That is why we ask ourselves: What is Pegi code in video games and how does it work?
This code is not well known by players, since they think that it is a simple warning of it, but in reality it has great importance. Next we will inform you about the Pegi code and how this works.
What type of content and video games does the PEGI code regulate?
The type of content regulated by this code is anyone who can be considered sensitive or explicit for certain ages; violence, sexual content, disturbing images or sounds, inappropriate language, and discrimination.
You may also be interested in:
Generally, the video games that contain this code are those that are directly related to this type of content, although we can see other games classified for all audiences where the PEGI code is involved. Some categories of games where this code is present are the games of chance, armory, fights, adventure, among others.
What is the PEGI code regulation process?
Essentially, there are endless video games, which can deal with different topics and show different images, some of these should not be seen by children or adolescents, since there are games for different types of audiences.
The Pegi code means in Spanish ‘Pan-European game information’, which is a label that is presented in video games with different numbers and colors, which indicates the recommended age to be able to play a certain video game.
It is responsible for classifying each game according to the content that is present, which should not be seen by children or adolescents. Its main function is to inform parents about games that are not suitable for their children, becoming a great tool for reps to take care of their kids of any type of content that they can view.
It should be mentioned that these games are classified by the company that performs them, which must fill out a form indicating the exact contents that are integrated into the game, this material is reviewed by the different institutions which deliver the label corresponding to the content of the game. play. This label is not only featured on the faceplates, also can be viewed in online games.
How are games classified according to PEGI?
The PEGI code classification is contained in two parts: tags and descriptors. The former directly set the age restriction of the games based on all content; whereas, the descriptors are specifications of content considered sensitive for some ages.
Among the tags, we currently spot six:
- PEGI 3 which indicates that the game is suitable for all audiences.
- PEGI 7, which states that the game is suitable for all audiences but may contain slightly sensitive content.
- PEGI 12, this tells us that the game contains more adult language, partial nudity, graphic violence in fantasy environments and not so explicit violence against people or animals.
- PEGI 16; the game contains violent scenes, inappropriate language, sexual representations and may have drug involvement.
- PEGI 18 is the fully adult restriction label. The then can cover highly explicit content of violence, sex, in addition to having scenes that can be considered obscene.
- PEGI OK, which we can reduce to web sites or online entertainment and points out that the game is suitable for all audiences.
On the other hand, among the descriptors there are eight categories:
- Violence: which refers to violent scenes where there may be blood, injuries and deaths. It is denoted by the image of a fist.
- Bad language: represented with a text bubble and signs in the form of censorship (asterisks, exclamation, at), it implies that the content contains an adult and inappropriate language.
- Discrimination: indicates that the game may contain discriminatory scenes / language.
- Drugs: represented by the image of a medical syringe and indicates graphic or verbal mention of illegal substances
- Fear: symbolized with a spider, indicates that the game may contain images or sounds considered disturbing for some people.
- Game: represented with two dice, it implies that the mention of games of chance and bets can be witnessed.
- Sex: Indicates that sexual references or explicit scenes can be found within the content.
Language is a widely seen restriction in video games, from the second age label on, language begins to become less childish; this usually works in adding charisma to character dialogue.
On the other hand, discrimination is a descriptive widely seen from the second age label, as we can find a lot of content considered discriminatory in games with this rating.
Some PEGI system labels you should know
All the labels indicate a type of content that the game has, which is necessary to verify before comparing it, these are found on the back of the case, which you can write down in a reminder on your PC to know which video games are suitable for your children, these are: The violence one, this shows a fist and indicates that in the game there are scenes with weapons and appearance of blood or lesions. Discrimination, its icon shows the silhouette of three people, indicating, as its name indicates, situations of discrimination.
There is also foul language, its icon shows a message cloud with different symbols, which represents that there are insults or insinuations in the game. On the scary label you can see a spider, where it is shown that the game has disturbing scenes.
Likewise, the symbol of the syringe represents that drugs or its consumption are shown in the game. While the icon that shows the female and male symbols, informs that in the game it may have nudes or different references to it.
Secondly, the one that says ‘Online’ informs that the game has a way to play it through the internet and the one that shows dice on the icon describes that the video game has gambling games or that type of content.
These also show the ages, if you notice that your child is not old enough to play one of these, it is best to remove the game immediately. Among the first labels is the Pegi 3 which is green, this represents that the game is suitable for all ages.
Also the Pegi 7 which is still green, indicates that the game is suitable for all audiences but may contain a scary sound or image. The Pegi 12, which is orange in color, indicates that it shows adult language and violent scenes.
But the most advanced is the Pegi 18 which shows adult content in its entirety, with very strong scenes, which cannot be observed by children.
Can the PEGI code regulate mobile applications?
Like games for consoles or PC, games and entertainment content for mobile phones are also regulated with PEGI. Naturally, not all mobile applications contain this code, as it depends on whether the company that developed the game involved this service or not.
I'm sorry this content was not useful for you!
Let me improve this content!
Tell me, how can I improve this content?
You may also be interested in: