Business letters are messages that companies send to a customer, supplier or entity to address business issues. These represent an important weapon with which entrepreneurs can offer products and services, as well as propose commercial projects.
You may also be interested in:
This type of communication uses a correct and conventional language to persuade the sender to perform a certain action. In addition, there are different types of business letters depending on the type of activity: sale, claim, offers, request for information and advertising.
You may also be interested in:
What are the benefits of business letters?
Business letters allow you to address business issues and are very useful in companies, here are the benefits:
- Provide the commercial presentation of the company.
- Request information from clients or suppliers.
- Present thanks, complaints or claims.
- Inform about the promotions or new products.
- Organize business meetings or events.
- Pose business alliances or the development of new projects.
- Send proof of payment and invoices.
- Offer answers to questions raised by clients or entities.
- Send listings with prices.
What characteristics and qualities should an effective business letter have?
- Presents complete information: The letter must contain all the elements that the sender wishes to transmit and that allow a favorable response from the receiver. They are necessary: sender and recipient address, references, date of issue, salutation, the body and a closing. Ignoring an item could cause misunderstandings.
- Brevity: Ideas must be conveyed with short and meaningful sentences, so as not to present an excessive number of words. In addition, it is necessary to avoid the use of very complex words and abbreviations that can make it difficult to understand the message. Simple terms increase the clarity of the letter and make it easier to interpret. If there are doubts about the use of a word, go to the dictionary.
- Conciseness: Points must be addressed directly without leaving the central theme of the letter. The intention is that the recipient gets the message in the shortest possible time, avoiding touching unnecessary or redundant aspects. Sentences can be short or long, but they should always be clear, avoiding expressions that are not relevant.
- Body division: Usually business letters have 3 paragraphs in their body. The first paragraph consists of an introduction where main ideas or some important preliminary information are expressed. The second is the base of the letter where the relevant aspects are developed and details are specified. Finally, in the last third of the body, the message is closed, reiterating the request that is the subject of the letter.
- Tone: Personal, as if you were talking to the recipient face to face. In addition, it is necessary to use kind expressions and willingness to create a friendly environment. However, you have to keep limits to avoid sending an image of false flattery.
- Spelling: It must be impeccable, avoiding smudges or stains in the case of handwritten letters. A bad spelling indicates a lack of preparation and little knowledge of the language, creating a negative image of the sender.
- If the letter is intended to sell a product or service, it should focus on the benefits for the recipient. The characteristics of the product go into the background, the important thing is to tell the recipient what they gain by acquiring it.
- Esthetic: Clean, attractive and elegant. The writing is important, but you also have to try to capture a good visual impression through an impeccable presentation. The style of the body depends on the writer, being able to write in block or with the use of paragraph indentation.
- Syntax: The ideas expressed must be completely connected for the letter to make sense. Proper use of connectors is important to avoid misunderstanding the message.
- Psychological aspect: The editor must adapt the letter to the personality and character of the recipient. Therefore, it is important to know the customers and suppliers with whom the company is related. By taking into account the characteristics of the receiver, we increase the probability of receiving a response.
- Correction: An effective letter is one that is sent to the right place and person. It is important that after writing the recipient’s address is reviewed in order to avoid misunderstandings. Also, the wording should be checked to correct any misspellings.
I'm sorry this content was not useful for you!
Let me improve this content!
Tell me, how can I improve this content?